It’s foggy and cool around my home in the San Francisco Bay Area. That means it’s August and Labor Day is just around the corner.
Which has got me to thinking about what’s next. Where will I choose to put my energy? What’s important now? How will this inform my primary focus for the remainder of 2017? There are many options and realistically only so much time and energy.
How about you? How is the last stretch of 2017 sitting with you? Is there work to complete, work to generate, or are you already looking forward and planning for 2018?
Here are some DIY coaching questions to help you consider what’s next for you in 2017:
This is my favorite place to start, with my clients and for myself:
- What’s top of mind for you right now?
- What options are you considering?
- What’s not yet clear?
- What’s getting in the way of seeing clearly?
- What, if anything, are you avoiding?
This is a good place to turn next next, looking at work, home/family, community, personal well-being and health:
- What needs your attention most?
- What causes your stress levels to rise?
- What can you dial up, or dial down, in terms of your health and well-being?
- What do you need to say ‘no’ to, at least for now?
- How can you be more supported as you move forward?
Here, we’re looking at authority, emotional resilience, confidence, sincerity, and also at external factors like body language, tone of voice and how you’re dressed.
- How are you showing up now in your work?
- What changes do you want to make?
- Who are the professionals that will help you in your transition?
- What do you need to start doing, or stop doing, to keep you on track?
- How will you handle the predictable distractions and bumps in the road?
Finally, we’re focused on moving forward:
- What’s a useful next step?
- What’s an even smaller next step, towards that next step?
- What will be the signs that you are moving forward?
- How can you create good habits?
- What will help you persevere and keep up your momentum when the challenges hit?’
- How will you celebrate your success?
Here’s how I walked myself through this exercise today:
Clarity–I’m sitting with competing priorities. But, as I sink into this question I am being pulled in one direction more than the other.
Work-Life Integration–I need more energy to propel me through to the end of 2017. I know what works for me in terms of exercise, rest and intake. It’s time to put this front and center to create a stronger foundation.
Presence–I will pay more attention to how I can roll with the punches when things get stressful.
Action–I need to create structure, a specific project outline and then a plan. Executing is less challenging for me once I’m well set up.
If you’re ready to dig into the rest of your calendar year drop me a line! There are many ways for the team at Business Presence, LLC to partner with you to ensure you end the year fulfilled– from career, business and leadership coaching, to media training, image consulting and headshots. Contact us today for a complimentary Discovery session!
Photo by Johannes Plenio on Unsplash